Won't Miss #22: Iran Air and The State of the Iranian Airline Industry

Iran Air is Iran's national airline, serving the country both internationally (where it is allowed to) and domestically:




However, I know in my heart of hearts that Iran can do so much better. The overall state of Iranian airlines in general is bad, bad, bad. Iranians deserve better. The purpose of this blog is not political, but I feel like sharing this is necessary - check out this New York Times article: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/14/world/middleeast/irans-airliners-falter-under-sanctions.html.

Yes, that's right. As the article mentions, Iranian plane crashes have caused the deaths of more than 1,700 passengers and crew members. That's a lot of innocent lives lost, and it disturbs me deeply.

My aunt said that once on her flight to Dubai on an Iranian airline, the plane had to turn back and go to Iran because of a broken part. Why not just get the part from Dubai? Sanctions. The United Arab Emirates can't give Iran airplane parts.

If Iran wasn't faced with sanctions, it would have an airline that would rival other Middle Eastern airlines. Flying with Iran Air would be a safe and pleasant experience. More than 1,700 people would still be alive today.

Back in the States, I know that if I choose to fly domestically, I have a very high chance of remaining safe. Not the same situation in Iran. Although, someone I know mentioned that one good thing has come out of Iran's faltering airline industry - top-notch pilots. Iranian pilots are very acute, knowledgeable, and on point with the aircraft they fly, because they know their crew, passengers, and themselves aren't sitting behind the newest shiny Boeing.

I will not miss Iran's national airline and its unsteady airline industry, and I hope that people will realize how much these sanctions are hurting Iranians everyday.

No comments:

Post a Comment