Won’t Miss #21: Tehran’s Mehrabad Airport

Unless you’re up for a 14 hour car ride (if "Point A" for you is Tehran), you have to fly to get to Shiraz. That means having to go to Mehrabad Airport.

Before Imam Khomeini International Airport was completed, Mehrabad was used for both international and domestic flights. Now, however, it is only used for domestic flights, minus a few seasonal flights to Saudi Arabia for pilgrimages (Wiki: Mehrabad International Airport). Something I find interesting is that on its Wikipedia page’s title, “International” is still a part of Mehrabad’s name.

I can’t remember if it was my aunt of my other relative who traveled with me, but one of the two remarked that since Imam Khomeini International Airport was built, they’ve taken even less care of Mehrabad. This airport was just bland, both in terms of looks and atmosphere ( I will admit, though, that we were there starting from roughly 6 in the morning, and nothing or no one is that lively at that ungodly hour):



There were a few pretty things, however:






And look! A preview of Persepolis (capital of the Achaemenid Empire in Shiraz)! 






All in all, however, I will not miss this bland domestic airport. 

No comments:

Post a Comment