Will Miss #14: Aash

Aash is a delicious Persian soup which usually includes thin noodles:



There’s also Aahsh without noodles. Standard Aahsh ingredients, however, are beans, lentils, and herbs (like parsley, spinach, dill, spring onion ends, and dried mint), adding to the thick texture of Aash (Wiki – Ash Reshteh). And by the way, I'm spelling this dish as "aash" rather than "ash" because I have a more direct approach to Persian transliteration. 

See the white sauce looking thing on top of the soup, near the dried mint? That’s called kashk, which is a “whey-like dairy product” (Wiki – Ash Reshteh).

This food isn’t for everyone. I gave some to a few of my friends back in the States and they all disliked it. And I know, I know – it isn’t necessarily the most appetizing looking thing, but for some people, the taste is absolutely delicious.

I personally like my Aash with lots of kashk and no onions. It’s meant to be eaten hot, but I like it when it’s cold and clumpy too.

Although I’m able to eat Aash every now and then in America, I have much more access to it here.


I will miss the fantastic taste and easy accessibility of aash. 

No comments:

Post a Comment