Won't Miss #26: Misspellings at Pasargadae - a UNESCO Heritage Site

One of my first posts was titled "Random and Hilarious Misspellings." However, I think it's one thing to misspell "Bikini Bottom" as "Vikini Bottom" on SpongeBob underwear, and another to misspell "private" as
"perivate" at Pasargadae, a UNESCO Heritage Site and the final resting place of Cyrus the Great, King of Persia, King of Kings:


And check out the ridiculous number of misspellings and other errors (like spacing) on the tomb's description blocks: 





Suddenly, tomb is "jomb," survives is "surivives," served is "seved," and worst of all "Cambyses" is "cambysee." Cambyses II was Cyrus the Great's son (Wiki: Cambyses II), and Cambyses I was Cyrus the Great's father (Wiki: Cambyses I)... so I sure hope the "cambysee" they are referring to is Cambyses II, although it still doesn't make since - "it is more probable that it was a tomb, and seved as the resting place of cambysee, son of Cyrus the Great" - this is Cyrus the Great's tomb, not his son's. So the probably meant that the tomb served as the final resting place of Cyrus the Great, son of Cambyses I.

Come on, Iran. This is a national treasure we're talking about right here. I'm not advocating that English is superior, but I am saying that lots of tourists visit Pasargadae, and the least that can be done is getting someone with perfect English to write out what's on Cyrus's tomb's description block. It's the least you can do for our great king.

I will not miss the embarrassing and sad misspellings at Pasargadae.

No comments:

Post a Comment