Won’t Miss #9: Not Being Able to Read What’s Around Me

One of the biggest regrets of my life is that I never learned how to read and write Persian. I had a few opportunities when I was younger, but I passed them up, thinking, “Who the hell needs to have Persian literacy in the States?”

Back then, I had the time but lacked the desire to learn it. Now, I have the desire but lack the time to learn it.
 
And I wish I would’ve learned.

Because now I can’t read the great Persian poets – Ferdowsi, Hafiz, Khayyum, Rumi, Saadi – in their original form. You can translate the works of these poets all you want but they just don’t have the same touch in English/any language but Persian.

Because now when I pick up a Persian magazine or newspaper, I have to ask someone what’s written on the pages:



Because now, for matters of practicality, I can’t read the signs here unless there’s English on them (road signs all include English, but store signs and advertisements, not so much):





I can recognize a few of the letters – such as S, B, A, and L – and can sound out a few words – but ultimately, it’s not enough.

I will not miss being unable to read what’s around me, and I want to learn how to read and write Persian one day.


No comments:

Post a Comment