Won’t Miss #12: Insane Driving

Disclaimer: I’m using my experiences in Tehran for this post.

Some people here - no, most people here - drive like complete and utter MANIACS.

They’ll make illegal turns. They’ll drive right on the line that divides two lanes. They won’t pay attention while they’re exiting an alleyway/street and then OMG A NEAR ACCIDENT. Obeying seatbelt laws? Psshhh. (In fact, one of my relatives has an Iranian-made car which doesn’t even have backseat seatbelts). Obeying stop signs? HA! Let’s see, 6 people want to go somewhere but there’s only room for 5 in the car? It’s ok, if one of them is a child, they’ll just sit on someone's lap (and no, the kid won’t be wearing a seatbelt).

Traffic is bad in Tehran. Insane driving makes it worse. And dangerous. Very dangerous. I wanted to try out driving in Tehran, but one of my aunts told me I wouldn’t last very long behind the wheel and would give up soon. She’s right – as I’ve heard before, if you can drive successfully in Tehran, you can drive anywhere in the world without a hitch.


I will not miss the utter lunacy that is driving here… and I will never complain about driving in my hometown again. 


No comments:

Post a Comment